Common Signs of a Pest Infestation
Aside from seeing a family of critters scurrying across the floor, realizing that you have a pest infestation isn’t always so simple. Not knowing you have pests is a problem for a variety of reasons, which is why identification is so crucial. If you’ve ever wondered, “How can I tell if I have pests in central Illinois?” then keep reading! This post will teach you everything you need to know:
- Droppings: One thing is shared among all pests—wherever they go, they leave droppings. You’re likely to notice droppings in areas where the pests hang out, like in the attic, crawlspace or even your pantry. It’s not a bad idea to take a look around your house from time to time and see if you can spot any droppings.
- Dirt and grime buildup: Pests (especially rodents) tend to make your home dirtier, and not just by leaving their droppings on the floors. It could be something small, like crumbs on the ground left from a raid on your pantry. You may also notice smudges on your walls and baseboards from rodents rubbing their bodies on the wall.
- Awful odors: The smell of stale food, urine or even dead pests may start to waft through your home if you have a really bad pest problem. Rest assured that even if you don’t notice the smell, your guests are sure to say something about it!
- Odd sounds: Though they’re small, critters can make a ton of noise when they’re scurrying between your walls. You’re most likely to hear scratching, scuttling and squeaking noises at night, when rodents are most active (and you’re trying to get some sleep). These noises will only get louder as time goes on and the pest population grows in your home.
- Fabric damage: Whether it’s from rodents gnawing on your couch or moths living in your closet, pests will do a number on fabrics in your home. So, how can you tell if you have pests in central Illinois? Just look at your belongings! If not treated soon, the damage to your fabrics will only get worse as time goes on.
- Gnaw marks: Going along with fabric damage, rodents can also mess up your furniture. Rodents gnaw on anything they can get their teeth on, which typically means your wooden furniture or electronic cords. The gnaw marks may not be very noticeable at first, but soon enough, all the legs of your furniture will be impacted.
- Signs of nesting: Shredded paper, fabric scraps and grass clippings are a few of the most popular nesting items for rodents, but they’ll make a nest out of almost anything they can! Their nests are usually found in hard-to-reach and dark places, like attics and crawlspaces, so you may not notice them without doing a thorough inspection of your home.
Stop wondering “How can I tell if I have pests in central Illinois?” and call our team for an inspection! Rest easy knowing that Crist Termite and Pest Solutions, Inc. can take care of any sort of pest problem. It doesn’t matter which type of vermin or what the size or scope of the infestation may be—our team can tackle it.
Categorised in: Preventative Pest Control