From the clothes we wear to the flowers and trees we see outside, seasons and weather patterns affect pretty much everything around us. But can weather affect pests in central Illinois? Unfortunately, yes—those creepy, crawly critters in and around our property are impacted by weather and climate factors. This post will teach you what you need to know about the link:
- Winter: This time of year, insects and rodents survive by seeking shelter from the snow and cold outdoor temperatures. Wasps and bees often find homes in trees and logs, while ants burrow into their nesting sites. However, this isn’t always the case, and critters may try to set up shop in your attic. Have an inspection performed to ensure that’s not happening in your home this winter.
- Spring: With the warmer temperatures comes increased activity for all sorts of pests. All of the critters come out of their hiding spots to search for food, water and even mates. Spring showers often drive pests back inside, though, as they try to escape the rain.
- Summer: Though they typically don’t try to get inside, mosquitoes, ticks, wasps and other biting or stinging bugs are a drag. This summer, be prepared by always wearing bug spray while outdoors and hire a professional to spray your lawn.
- Fall: When temperatures drop once again, you’ll probably notice more bugs and rodents trying to get back inside your home to escape the cold. We recommend hiring someone to inspect your home for obvious points of entry—this is the best way to prevent an infestation.
What should be done?
As a homeowner, you shouldn’t just sit and wonder about whether or not the weather can affect pests in central Illinois. Instead, do something about it by following these steps below:
- Call an exterminator: We alluded to it above, but an exterminator is the best person to call for all sorts of treatments. From prevention in the spring and summer to removal in the fall and winter, a trusted professional can do it all. At Crist Termite and Pest Solutions, Inc., we’re your one-stop shop for any pest control needs.
- Prepare your home: Those tiny cracks in your foundation or gaps between the door and door jamb might not seem like a big deal. However, they’re essentially an open border for all types of different pests. Caulk and seal any of these entry points to prevent an infestation each fall and winter.
- Treat your pets: Ticks and fleas can hitch a ride on your pet’s coat and easily make it inside your home. Ensure all of your furry friends are treated with flea and tick medication to ward off these pests and to keep them safe.
With winter in full swing and spring on the horizon, there’s never been a better time to call our team at Crist Termite and Pest Solutions, Inc. We’re the experts for the job—whether you need preventative treatments, a pest inspection, pest removal or just need to know more about the answer to your questions, like “Can weather affect pests in central Illinois?”
Categorised in: Preventative Pest Control