Summer is a time filled with vacations, barbecues and outdoor time with friends and families. But if you’re a homeowner, you know it also means it’s the time of year when you need to be most concerned about pests taking over your yard or home.
What exactly are the most common pests in Illinois that you should be aware of as a homeowner? Here’s a quick overview.
- Ants: You’ll find ants both indoors and out, but they’re much more problematic when they start getting inside your home. Ants will come into your home in search of food, so it’s important to keep your food packed up and hidden away in the refrigerator and in cabinets. In addition, it’s important to quickly clean up any spills and crumbs, so they do not attract ants. The longer you let ants have access to food sources in your home, the more likely it is they’ll actually create a colony inside your house, which can be extremely problematic.
- Bed bugs: Bed bug infestations will not result in disease, but they are still highly problematic and should be removed as soon as they’re discovered, as they will spread rapidly.
- Rodents: Mice and rats can be extremely destructive when they get into your home. They might chew holes through your drywall and insulation, steal food from your pantry and even damage your electrical wiring. They also are capable of spreading diseases. You might be able to use traps to eliminate your rodent problem, but if they keep coming back, professional services will be necessary.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are both a nuisance and a potential health threat. Their bites not only itch, but can also cause disease. If you’re planning to have barbecues or other gatherings in your backyard this summer, it’s important to take actions that will keep mosquitoes at bay, such as fogging or using citronella candles.
- Black widows: These spiders create messy webs and will typically come out only at night. Bites from black widows can be extremely dangerous. You can protect your family by having professionals spray for spiders to prevent them from making webs on your property.
- Yellow jackets and wasps: Wasps will build nests along the eaves of your home and inside dense bushes and plants, while yellow jackets like to make nests underground. Professionals can help you eliminate your wasp or yellow jacket problem so you can avoid stings and other issues.
These are just a few examples of some of the most common summer pests in Illinois. While there are some steps you can take yourself to reduce the risks of being affected by these pests, the best and most reliable results will always come through working with professionals.
If you’re interested in learning more about how to combat these common pests, we encourage you to contact Crist Termite and Pest Solutions, Inc. today with any questions. We’ve been serving area customers for 70 years and understand the needs of Illinois property owners. We look forward to working with you soon!
Categorised in: Preventative Pest Control