Springtime Pests to Look Out For
Winter may be in full swing right now, but spring will be here before you know it. That means it’s time to prepare your home or business for the change in season. One way you can stay proactive is to know what pests to keep an eye out for in the spring—and how to prevent infestations.
Read on to find out more about pest prevention in the spring.
What pests are prevalent in the spring?
Here’s a closer look at several of the pests you’re likely to encounter come springtime:
- Ants: These bugs are more likely to crawl into your home when the weather warms up. There’s a range of reasons for this. One is that ants are more active indoors than anywhere else as they’re foraging for new food sources, which they won’t do if it’s snowing or raining. Fortunately, there are a range of home remedies that can mitigate ant infestations. Sprinkle cinnamon, baby powder or borax in spots you’ve seen ants gathering, and that should take care of the problem.
- Termites: These insects come out during spring to reproduce and form new colonies. Winged termites flitting about your yard are a sign that there’s a large colony nearby. Other signs of a termite infestation are termite mounds, mud tubes on the home’s exterior walls and crumbling wood on any structure.
- Rats: Needless to say, this is one of the worst pests prevalent in the spring. Rats carry disease, and you need to be active to get rid of them. They often burrow, nest or seek warmth in the small spaces in your home or basement. Rats come out for warmth and to breed from April to June. To prevent rats from entering the home, eliminate any sources of water and food, eliminate any potential entry points and make sure to keep garbage cans covered.
- Mosquitoes: One of the more annoying pests, mosquitoes will begin working their way onto your property in spring and will be constantly biting you all summer long. They’re capable of carrying diseases like West Nile Virus and should be eliminated quickly. To keep mosquitoes away from your property, remove any source of standing water, keep the lawn and shrubs trimmed and remove any yard debris.
- Ticks: This is another parasite capable of spreading disease. In recent years, the country has seen a steep increase in the incidence of Lyme disease, a difficult-to-pinpoint condition that can affect sufferers for many years. Ticks also pose threats to household pets as well. Once warm temperatures arrive, they may begin to populate your yard. Bring in the experts immediately to get rid of these pests once and for all.
Those are the most common pests to keep an eye out for in the spring. When you need professional assistance removing pests from your home or business, call Crist Termite & Pest Solutions, Inc. We use integrated pest management solutions, eliminating infestations and preventing pests from returning. Whether it’s insects, rodents or something else, we’ll address your pest issue thoroughly. Contact us now to find out more and set up an appointment.
Categorised in: Preventative Pest Control